Thursday, May 31, 2012

Swiss Alps

With Grandpa and Grandma in town, Hardy and I decided it was the perfect time to begin further exploration of our new residence sans kiddos. As we are beginning to become semi-used to the French being spoken all around us, we decided to head to a German-speaking area, just to keep things interesting. However, we did find in our short visit, that most people spoke German, French and English as well. Hooray!

We stopped near Montreux, the famous site of the upcoming yearly Jazz Festival on our way out of town for lunch. I used the restroom before we left and as I was gathering my belongings I noticed something moving out of the corner of my eye. It was a self-cleaning toilet seat! After the toilet was flushed it rotated around and completely cleaned itself. Believe me, living with a 4-year-old boy my first thought was, where can I get one of those?! Very intelligent invention.

We then headed to the infamous Gstaad where we spent our first night. The road leading up to the mountains was barely built for one car, much less two, but everyone whizzed right on past us, even the trucks! The scenery was ridiculously beautiful though, as expected. Here is the view from our hotel room, and yes, that's a pool! In the morning it was even warm enough to swim for awhile.


The next day we headed further into the Alps and stayed in the Grindelwald area. This was a truly amazing portion of the Alps, home of the Wetterhorn Mountain, cousin to the Matterhorn (not the Disneyland version).





It is an area that is famous for amazing hiking trails, but since we weren't prepared, we had a drink instead.


All in all it was a fantastic trip with some of the most breathtaking scenery I've ever seen, plus we're beginning to narrow down our favorite spots to take back future visitors. I'll leave you with a few of my favorite pics.

Quaint living.....




No comments:

Post a Comment